Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Hunger Games

My Hunger Games books have really been making the rounds lately. I loaned them to my co-worker (a 50 year old man). He loved them. And now they're with my mom. She called me on Saturday and said, "PLEASE CAN I STOP BY AND PICK UP THE SECOND BOOK? I HAVE GOT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!"

It just always amazes me the way a book can transcend a genre. Yes, they are Young Adult books. But anyone can enjoy them! I think it's so rare that a book can do this. It's a very special thing. Not even Twilight hits this, I don't think. So I base this on if my parents will read the book. Which they won't read Twilight. The real test will be if my dad likes The Hunger Games. =)

It's just really neat. And I'm happy to be spreading The Hunger Games love! I just hope I get the books back. My copy of Water for Elephants was making the rounds, another fantastic book, and it is disappeared! Like magic! Ha!

Happy Monday! If there is such a thing.

UPDATE: My mom has finished Catching Fire. I gave it to her Saturday. She couldn't wait for Mockingjay so she went out and bought it, even though I have it! LOL!

6 comments:

  1. I've bought three copies of the Hunger Games so far--a hard copy for myself, an electronic copy so my husband could read it while we were on vacation, and another e-copy as a gift for my mom. No idea where my hard copy is right now as it's being passed around my friends. Haven't tried to get my dad to read it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely ashamed to say I haven't read them yet. I keep planning to! My son had it for required reading in English this year and he says I have to get them. There are just so many good books out right now that they keep getting shuffled around on my to be read list!

    And there is no such thing as a happy monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the goal is to write something that people will go out and buy even though a family member already owns it :) Great post!

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you! Will be on the lookout for your book!!

    Following you from A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the hunger games--and you're right about it transcending genres. I've even convinced my super scientific-not-into-fiction friend to read it and she loved it.
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read them yet. I did read Twilight, and I can say I didn't run to the next installment that way. One set of YA books I enjoy reading are the House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. The main story concludes by the novels end, but the authors plant new issues at the end as well, prompting me to pick up the next one. Unfortunately, the next novel isn't out until November. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete